Jargons of Info Tech industry

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Sun Oct 9 19:25:46 EDT 2005

Roedy Green <my_email_is_posted_on_my_website at munged.invalid> writes:
> Perhaps you could slow them down with some randomly chosen questions
> to prove they know something about you.  Companies could do the same
> thing.

Challenge-response system are old hat. I use one, and it reduces my
spam by three orders of magnitude. Most of what's left is spam that
went to a list that I've subscribed to whose mail circumvents the
anti-spam feature, and nigerian scam type things, which violates one
of the assumptions that such systems make about spam.

The downside is that I have no idea how many people try to contact me
out of the blue, or from an address other than the one I sent mail to,
but don't bother to answer the response.

> You can inconvenience the sender to a fair degree since most people
> don't often write strangers with the expectation of a personal
> correspondence.

Right. Nobody sends email to addresses that come off business cards,
or off a web site, or ....

   <mike