Will python never intend to support private, protected and public?

Paul Rubin http
Mon Oct 3 00:38:50 EDT 2005

Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> writes:
> I'd say CPython was missing the features that you need to guarantee
> that. Missing quite a *lot* of features, in fact. But Python has never
> been about keeping people from writing bad code - it's about helping
> people write good code.

Privilege separation is considered a good coding practice.  How does
Python help it?  That's what got this started.  In the first
nontrivial Python program I wrote, I tried to use private variables
(which didn't exist) and ended up using using an RPC kludge (described
in other post).

> Pretty much every attempt to restrict what other programmers do in
> Python has failed - for "implementation issues". I think that's a good
> sign that this kind of thing isn't going to work without some serious
> work on the interpreter.

You could take it as a sign that the interpreter could benefit from
some serious work.  It's probably hopeless in CPython.  I don't know
the situation in Jython.  I'll be interested to find out what happens
with PyPy.  Reimplementating the interpreter in Python surely
qualifies as serious work either way.