HTTPResponse.read() returns an empty string?

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch bj_666 at gmx.net
Tue Oct 18 18:10:14 EDT 2005

In <dj2m7k$s7n$1 at wsc10.lrz-muenchen.de>, Christoph Söllner wrote:

> ok got it:
> One cannot close the connection before reading the answer.

Yep, because the "answer" is read over the connection.

> Seems that in my original source the new assigned variable
> 'answ' is destroyed or emptied with the connection.close()
> command; very strange behaviour.

No, it's not emptied or destroyed.  The read() method reads the content
over the connection.  That doesn't work if the connection is closed.  It's
like closing a file and then reading from it.

The response object contains just the headers.  So you can inspect them
before you decide to download the actual content.

Ciao,
	Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch