Microsoft Hatred FAQ

Peter T. Breuer ptb at oboe.it.uc3m.es
Thu Oct 20 14:05:15 EDT 2005

In comp.os.linux.misc T Beck <Tracy.Beck at infineon.com> wrote:
> Peter T. Breuer wrote:
>> In comp.os.linux.misc David Schwartz <davids at webmaster.com> wrote:
>>
>> > "Peter T. Breuer" <ptb at oboe.it.uc3m.es> wrote in message
>> > news:33sj23-6om.ln1 at news.it.uc3m.es...

> [snip]
>> O/ses on PC platforms, as determined by the courts. Thanks to their
>> initial agreement with IBM, and subsequent nasty tactics.

> So what I'm getting here is, that they abused their monopoly power to
> secure their initial deal with IBM.

No - they got the deal with IBM when they were a garage startup.

Later they burned off competing dos's for the IBM PC via nasty tactics
(like making their programs fail to run on drdos). When they got the
monopoly position via those tactics, then they got PC makers to pay
them for windows, whether windows went on the box or not, r else they
charged them impossible prices for the o/s.

Your argument is "anybody would have done that". Other companies have
tried that sort of trick, and it's been illegal too.  Google for it -
don't take the word of us non-legal non-business people.

Peter