Would there be support for a more general cmp/__cmp__

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Oct 24 07:33:19 EDT 2005

Antoon Pardon wrote:
> Op 2005-10-21, Christopher Subich schreef <csubich.spam.block at spam.subich.block.com>:
>
>>Antoon Pardon wrote:
>>
>>>It would be better if cmp would give an indication it
>>>can't compare two objects instead of giving incorrect
>>>and inconsistent results.
>>
>>If two objects aren't totally comparable, then using 'cmp' on them is
>>ill-defined to begin with.
>

> Where is that documented?
>

>>The Standard Thing To Do is throw an
>>exception; see the Highly Obscure Case of the Complex Numbers.

>>False

>>True

>>Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>>TypeError: cannot compare complex numbers using <, <=, >, >=
>

> I would say this is the wrong answer. The right answer should
> be False IMO.

Well in that case it's time to declare Principia Mathematica obsolete.
The real numbers are a two-dimensional field, and you are proposing to
define an ordering for it.

This is a snail that really shoudn't be salted at all.

> Especially in the following case do I think the TypeError is
> the wrong answer:

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> TypeError: cannot compare complex numbers using <, <=, >, >=

Here you seem to be asking for special-case code to detect complex
numbers that are on the real line. Mathematically speaking this is an
infintesimal subset of the complex plane, so you are expecting a lot.
And presumably next you would argue that "since (3+0j) < (2+0j) returns
False so should (3+1j) < (2+2j)".

I think you should find something more productive to do with our time.
And mine ;-)

> Look at sets:

> False

> False

Set orderingd are explicitly documented as being based on proper
subsetting. This is an abuse of the operators to make subset tests more
convenient rather than a definition of an ordering.

[...]
The rest of your post does highlight one or two inconsistencies, but I
don't frankly see yor proposed solutions making anything better.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119