pushing python to multiple windows machines

Tim Golden tim.golden at viacom-outdoor.co.uk
Fri Oct 21 07:55:51 EDT 2005

[shkelley at gmail.com]

> I am working on a project that requires python to be installed on a
large
> number of windows servers and was wondering if anyone has found a
method
> to do this.  I found the article from 2003, but nobody ever stated
that
> they have found an option for this.

I'm not quite clear whether you're asking this question from a Python
point-of-view (eg running Python from a shared drive) or from a Windows
point-of-view.

If the former then perhaps have a look at the Moveable Python project:

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/movpy/

I admittedly haven't tried it, but since it's designed to run off memory
sticks etc. I imagine running from a shared drive shouldn't be too
difficult.

There are (commercial) products such as LanDesk which facilitate the
latter, and in any case the Python installation doesn't do anything
especially perverse. If you did want to install on each machine,
perhaps you could get some advice from the Moveable Python people.

TJG

http://www.star.net.uk