IDLE won't run on WinXP

Lasse Vågsæther Karlsen lasse at vkarlsen.no
Thu Oct 6 14:50:45 EDT 2005

striker wrote:
> I just downloaded and installed Python 2.4.2 on a Windows XP machine.
> Everything I have tried so far has worked except for IDLE.  Is there
> some setting that I need to check?  Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.
> Kevin

It runs perfectly for me, on several Windows XP machines running a
variety of service packs, so it's not a general Windows XP problem.

Do you get any error messages? any indication as to what might be wrong
that you can share with use? Does it crash ? Does anything happen when
you click the start menu item?

Just a thought though, during the installation of Python on one machine
it mentioned that a dll was missing from my machine, try uninstalling it
and reinstalling it and see if the text you get at some point tells you
that this dll is missing. I find it various places on the web, and I
remember the text said something about Idle or Pythonwin, so it might be
what you need. I think the name was something like MSVCRT71.DLL but
don't think I got it 100% right just there... :P

--
Lasse Vågsæther Karlsen
http://usinglvkblog.blogspot.com/
mailto:lasse at vkarlsen.no