Microsoft Hatred FAQ

Martin P. Hellwig mhellwig at xs4all.nl
Tue Oct 25 15:52:25 EDT 2005

David Schwartz wrote:
<cut>
>     It's easy to point to things you think are mistakes and claim that if
> you had been in charge of the world, those mistakes would not have been
> made. If you are trying to balance completely different possible paths the
> universe might have taken, you need to make sure to include everything on
> both sides, and that's really really hard to do.
>
>     Perhaps the desktop software is good enough that how much better it
> would have been wouldn't make much difference. And perhaps the lack of
> competition steered the innovators into other fields where their innovations
> made huge differences. Perhaps not -- perhaps the desktop software we would
> have had in a more competitive market would have made other people's lives
> majorly better. Who knows?
>
>     I don't think it's possible or sensible to try to have a reckoning of
> this type. There are so many variables and unpredictable possibilities.
>
>     DS

I agree that it is hard, nearly impossible, to make the _one_ best
decision in a situation.
However it is quit possible to not make the very obvious wrong decision.

Just that it is very hard to hit a specific tree with a small handgun
from a 2 mile distant, that is nearly impossible.
However, just avoiding your feet should be doable.

BTW, I think you are management material...

--
mph