Python/Apache Oddness On OSX

grahamd at dscpl.com.au grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Mon Oct 24 19:20:40 EDT 2005

John Abel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running Python 2.3.5/2.4.2 on OSX 10.4.2, and am trying to run CGI
> scripts using the builtin Apache.  For ease, I've symlinked my custom
> modules into the /Library/Python/2.3/site-packages directory, and they
> import OK via command line python.  However, when I perform the import
> from a cgi script, python fails to find the module.  It is definately
> something to do with the symlink, as the CGI works OK if I copy the
> directory into site-packages.  Is there some oddness with Python/Apache
> and symlink imports?
>
> Any pointers would be most useful.

If running OS supplied Apache, it runs as the user "www". Because this
isn't you or root, check that the directory your symlink points at is
accessible to others as well as any directories above it back up to the
root directory. If it isn't accessible, the user Apache runs as will
not
be able to find and use the files. When you are copying the directory
you are possibly giving it read access for others in  the process and
that is why it works then.

Graham