pickling classes with __slots__

Alex Neyfakh neyfakh at uic.edu
Fri Oct 28 23:00:31 EDT 2005

I would greatly appreciate an advice on the following matter that was very
much discussed circa 2002 but in all this discussion I could not find the
final answer with a code example.

I have a series of new classes with child-parent relationship and each has
unique __slots__. They don't have __dict__ . I need to be able to pickle
and unpickle them. As far as I could understand, I need to provide
__getstate__  and  __setstate__ methods for each class. Is there a
universally accepted code for each method? If so, what is it? If there is
no standard, what works?

TIA

Alex