Reply-To header

Roel Schroeven rschroev_nospam_ml at fastmail.fm
Tue Oct 4 04:40:16 EDT 2005

Mike Meyer wrote:
> Roel Schroeven <rschroev_nospam_ml at fastmail.fm> writes:
>
>>Is that really the desired behaviour? IMO the least you can do if you're
>>searching for help is subscribing to the mailing list on which you're
>>looking for help. Me and many others don't like to receive replies
>>directly instead of via the mailing list; it's of no use, since we're
>>subscribed to the mailing list anyway.
>

> Rather than asking everyone else to modify their behavior for your
> convenience, why don't you fix the problem at your end? Check to see
> if the list will filter duplicates for you. Check to see if your
> mailer will filter duplicates for you. Or grit and bear it. You'll
> almost certainly get less unwanted mail from people who send you
> duplicates in reply to your messages than they would get from
> subscsribing to the list.

Don't overreact please -- I was just asking if what you described is
really the desired behavior, along with some of the reasons why I'm not
sure that it is. My experience of reading a number of mailing lists
throughout the years seem to indicate that most people prefer that
people looking for help subscribe to the mailing list. I might be wrong
of course, that's why I stated it as a question.

Roel Schroeven