x-plat gui development question Mac OS X

Georg Christmann gc_nospam2004-allerlei at yahoo.de
Fri Oct 28 07:49:20 EDT 2005

Hello everybody,

I have recently started tinkering about with Python.

If there are any Macintosh-based Python developers reading this
newsgroup I would like to ask them one Macintosh-specific question:

If you want to write GUI scripts on the Mac, say with Tkinter, you need
to invoke "pythonw" instead of "python" and use "#! /usr/bin/pythonw"
for a shebang line in your saved scripts.
Of course, although a tiny problem, it is still less than welcome for
cross-platform development.

As one obvious workaround, would it cause any problems if I would link
"/usr/bin/python/" to "/usr/bin/pythonw" instead of "/usr/bin/python2.3"
(in other words I would always be using "pythonw", even for non-GUI
scripts) ?
So far I can't tell any difference in the interactive mode - invoking
"pythonw" for non-GUI work seems to work just fine.
I am not sure though if there are any system processes, say during
boot-up, that depend on "python" pointing to the original location, or
if there could be problems with more complex code than "Hello world".

Any insights welcome

Georg