Python reliability

Ville Voipio vvoipio at kosh.hut.fi
Tue Oct 11 01:43:14 EDT 2005

In article <A_CdnfnrU4zBT9feRVn-jw at telcove.net>, Thomas Bartkus wrote:

> All in all, it would seem that the reliability of the Python run time is the
> least of your worries.  The best multi-tasking operating systems do a good
> job of segragating different processes BUT what multitasking operating
> system meets the standard you request in that last paragraph?

Well, let's put it this way. I have seen many computers running
Linux with a high load of this and that (web services, etc.) with
uptimes of years. I have not seen any recent Linux crash without
faulty hardware or drivers.

If using Python does not add significantly to the level of
irreliability, then I can use it. If it adds, then I cannot
use it.

> type of rugged use you are demanding.  I would google "embedded systems".
> If you want to use Python/Linux, I might suggest you search "Embedded
> Linux".

I am an embedded system designer by my profession :) Both hardware
and software for industrial instruments. Computers are just a
side effect of nicer things.

But here I am looking into the possibility of making something
with embedded PC hardware (industrial PC/104 cards). The name of
the game is "as good as possible with the given amount of money".
In that respect this is not flying or shooting. If something goes
wrong, someone loses a bunch of dollars, not their life.

I think that in this game Python might be handy when it comes to
maintainability and legibility (vs. C). But choosing a tool which
is known to be bad for the task is not a good idea.

- Ville

--
Ville Voipio, Dr.Tech., M.Sc. (EE)