"no variable or argument declarations are necessary."

Paul Rubin http
Fri Oct 7 04:12:12 EDT 2005

Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> writes:
> In other words, you want Python to be strongly-typed, but sometimes
> you want to allow a reference to be to any object whatsoever. In which
> case you can't possibly do any sensible type-checking on it, so this
> new Python+ or whatever you want to call it will suffer from the same
> shortcomings that C++ and java do, which is to say type checking can't
> possibly do anything useful when the acceptable type of a reference is
> specified as ANY.

Let's see if I understand what you're saying:

    C and Java: you get useful type checking except when you declare
    a reference as type ANY.  This is a shortcoming compared to:

    Python: where you get no useful type checking at all.

That is not very convincing logic.