more than 100 capturing groups in a regex

Joerg Schuster joerg.schuster at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 03:32:45 EDT 2005

> Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know,
> I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
> --Jamie Zawinski

Thanks for the citation.

If my goal had been to redesign my program, I would not ask questions
about regular expressions. I do not have the time to redesign my
program. And knowing that my situation would be better, if I had
written other code in the past, does not help me at all.

I just want to use more than 100 capturing groups. If someone told me
that it is very unlikely for Python to get rid of the said limitation,
I would recode part of my program in C++ using pcre. But I would prefer
to be able to do everything in Python. That is why I asked.

Jörg