Python 3! Finally!

Sun Oct 2 04:06:03 EDT 2005

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 02:06:26 -0500, Steve Bergman wrote:

> Someone proposes that in the case that there is a
> filename collision, the user might simply be prompted to decide on a
> filename.

You mean like every single other GUI application that saves files does?

> Firefox devs totally reject that idea (and rather
> vehemently).  You see, that would totally freak out the end user,

You mean like they freak out when it happens with IE, Word, Excel,
Pagemaker, Quark Xpress, Photoshop, Gimp, OpenOffice, Access, Corel Draw,
Outlook, Opera, and Kwrite (to mention just a few)?

> and that is *certainly* not a good solution.

Heaven's no, we can't be having with that sort of thing.

> So the interim solution, for over a year, has been to leave it broken
> for everyone...

Because of course end users certainly won't be confused to save a file
called "Fred1" and find "Fred2" instead, oh no.

I'm surprised that they don't just add Yet Another Secret Option to
Firefox's preferences: FileCollision, with two possible values: "Do the
wrong thing" and "Ask the user".

After all, more preferences are always good, right?

--
Steven.