How to prevent logging warning?

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 6 13:31:05 EDT 2005

Thomas Heller wrote:

> I do *not* think 'no handler' is a misconfiguration. Is it possible to
> differentiate between a misconfiguration and 'no configuration'?

It's a fair point. The line was more blurred when the logging package
was newly released into the wild ;-) But "no configuration" could be
caused e.g. by an unreadable config file, which might also be
categorised as a "misconfiguration".

> That would be fine.  But there are also other ways - you could, for
> example, print the warning only when __debug__ is False.  And you could
> use the warnings module instead of blindly printing to stderr, this way
> it could also be filtered out.

Compatibility with 1.5.2 precludes use of the warnings module. If using
raiseExceptions meets your requirement, I'll use that. I'm not sure
it's a good idea for the behaviour to change between running with and
without -O.

> BTW: Since I have your attention now, is the graphical utility to
> configure the logging.conf file still available somewhere, and
> compatible with the current logging package (with 'current' I mean
> the one included with Python 2.3.5)?

You can always get my attention via email :-) The graphical utility
(logconf.py) is available from the download at

http://www.red-dove.com/python_logging.html#download

AFAIK it should work OK with 2.3.5, though I haven't tested it recently
as there wasn't much interest in it. In fact you're the first person to
ask! It generates a few extra entries in the config file which are used
by the utility only, which are seemingly regarded as "cruft" by most
people.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip