global interpreter lock

Jeremy Jones zanesdad at bellsouth.net
Tue Oct 18 10:43:04 EDT 2005

Tommy.Ryding at gmail.com wrote:

>I just need confirmation that I think right.
>
>Is the files thread_xxx.h (xxx = nt, os2 or whatever) responsible for
>the
>global interpreter lock in a multithreaded environment?
>
>I'm currently writing my own thread_VW for VxWorks, thats why I'm
>asking.
>
>//Tommy

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the lock actually lives in
ceval.c, around here:

    802                 PyThread_release_lock(interpreter_lock);
    803
    804                 /* Other threads may run now */
    805
    806                 PyThread_acquire_lock(interpreter_lock, 1);

This was taken from what appears to be a 2.4.1 release rather than a CVS
checkout.  It looks like the PyThread_type_lock is defined in the
thread_xxx.h files, though.

HTH,

- jmj