Yes, this is a python question, and a serious one at that (moving to Win XP)

Chris Lambacher chris at kateandchris.net
Tue Oct 18 13:00:37 EDT 2005

The shell that comes with MSys (from the MinGW guys). Is pretty good, although
it does have a bit of a problem with stdout output before a process exits, ie
it will hold back output until the process exits.

As a bonus, the file system is a little more sane, and if you are interested
in compiling software that is not open source, you are not tied to the Cygwin
DLL which is GPLed.

I have given up on Cygwin in favour of the tools that come with MSys because
they seem slightly better suited to the windows environment.

-Chris