So far (about editing tools)

Kenneth McDonald kenneth.m.mcdonald at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 6 17:07:15 EDT 2005

As I did mention in my original post, Eclipse is indeed bloated.
However, in spite of that, I've found it both fast and reliable (much
to surprise). The only real problem is learning what functionality
(the majority) to ignore.

PyDev offers nice integration with Python. If I run a python program
from within PyDev, errors are reported on the console, and clicking
on an error takes me to the offending line number. Jython is also
supported, though I haven't tried it.

I personally gave up on Emacs after spending four hours trying to get
a perfectly simple keybinding working, and receiving no response from
the emacs mailing list--they were apparently as mystified as I.

I don't mean to push Eclipse, but I looked at it several times before
trying it, and backed off due to the concerns mentioned here. Once I
actually sat down with it for about four hours to _concentrate_ on
it, though, it rapidly became obvious that it with PyDev really was
the best Python solution I'd found. If you do a lot of Python work,
it's worth the effort to learn.

Ken