Microsoft Hatred FAQ

David Schwartz davids at webmaster.com
Wed Oct 19 02:18:31 EDT 2005

"Roedy Green" <my_email_is_posted_on_my_website at munged.invalid> wrote in
message news:48jbl1honbc8ccfnkuo0bjatmqi5bqfks4 at 4ax.com...

> On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 20:34:55 -0700, "David Schwartz"
> <davids at webmaster.com> wrote or quoted :

>> As for obligations to community, no, there is no such obligation. An
>>executive who devoted his company to his community against his
>>shareholders'
>>wishes should be fired. The company exists as a vehicle to execute the
>>desires of the shareholders. That's why they get to vote on who runs it.

> Why should loyalty to company trump all other loyalties -- family,
> law, species,  community, country, religion ... ?

    Perhaps you aren't following the thread, but I was talking about the
obligations a company has, not the obligations any individual has. And I was
talking about obligations *to* individuals.

    Your criticism would be very appropriate if I said that individuals only
owe loyalty to companies. But what I said is that Microsoft (a company) owes
an obligation to its shareholders (people). That is, that companies exist
purely to benefit people.

    It is funny that your accusation is based on assuming I said exactly the
opposite of what I actually said.

    DS