Microsoft Hatred FAQ

Mike Schilling mscottschilling at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 18 10:42:06 EDT 2005

"Mike Meyer" <mwm at mired.org> wrote in message
news:86y84rxryr.fsf at bhuda.mired.org...
> "Mike Schilling" <mscottschilling at hotmail.com> writes:
>> "Mike Meyer" <mwm at mired.org> wrote in message
>> news:86fyqzzskt.fsf at bhuda.mired.org...
>>> Unless, of course, you want to support any compliant browser.
>> Since no browser I know of is perfectly compliant (e.g. bug-free), that's
>> not a feasible goal.
>
> I guess you'd say developing any software isn't a feasible goal,
> because it'll never be bug-free, will never have bug-free compilers to
> compile it, bug-free linkers to link it, bug-free GUI/db/etc libraries
> to link with it, bug-free servers to communicate with, and bug-free
> operating systems to run it on. Fortunately, most developers aren't
> quite that anal, and realize that you can get useful work done in a
> less-than-perfect environment.

I'm not speaking theroetically. My company (though not me personally)
creates browser-based UIs, and one of the biggest expenses has been dealing
with IE rendering bugs   Given the market share of IE, the fact that
something should work, and even does work in Firefox, Opera, etc, is
irrelevant.  If it breaks IE, we can't use it.

When we've had similar issues with C++ compilers, patches have usually been
forthcoming, or perhaps optimization has to be turned off on a few source
files.  In a few areas, though, the solution has been "Don't do that", and
again, the fact that the standard supports it is irrelevant.