When someone from Britain speaks, Americans hear a "British accent"...

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Tue Oct 11 10:37:22 EDT 2005

On 2005-10-10, Terry Hancock <hancock at anansispaceworks.com> wrote:

>> Cool.  While we're on the topic, has anybody else noticed that
>> "guys" is acceptible and commonly used to refer to a group of
>> women,
>
> Yeah, though it depends on where you are.

I assumed you could tell that from my accent. :)

>> Likewise, "dude" is often used when addressing a female but
>> almost never when speaking about one in the third person.

> This I have never witnessed.  That's bizarre.

At least in the upper midwest it seems quite common for
teen-age boys/girls to address each other as "dude".  For
example

"Dude, you have got to go to the concert with us".

But, if somebody refers to "that dude over there in the blue
jaket," the "dude" is invariably a male.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I am NOT a nut....
                                  at