Microsoft Hatred FAQ

Lasse Vågsæther Karlsen lasse at vkarlsen.no
Thu Oct 27 09:23:12 EDT 2005

David Schwartz wrote:
> Lasse Vågsæther Karlsen wrote:
>

>>I would think that if I set up a shop and wanted to have the word
>>"Microsoft" as part of the shop name, there would be some rules
>>dictating what products I could and could not sell, yes. Wether those
>>rules are set forth in a law somewhere or Microsoft set them forth
>>themselves, I would find it hard to believe that the law would
>>prohibit them from doing so.
>

>>Otherwise I could set up a shop, call it "Microsoft Porsgrunn" and
>>sell machines with only Linux installed.
>

>>I think Microsoft would be allowed to say "No, you can't do that".
>

>     Burger King won't let you sell Whoppers or buy their burger patties
> wholesale no matter what you want to call your store unless you take the
> whole franchise deal. It's an all-or-nothing package. With very few limits,
> companies do get to choose how their products are branded, marketed, and
> sold.

Yes, and that's not what Microsoft has ever done. There have always been
lots of shops selling Microsoft merchandise without being a Microsoft
franchise in the sense Burger King shops are.

That's why I still say your comparison is a bad one.

--
Lasse Vågsæther Karlsen
http://usinglvkblog.blogspot.com/
mailto:lasse at vkarlsen.no