Microsoft Hatred FAQ

Sat Oct 15 23:01:22 EDT 2005

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 15:48:18 -0700, David Schwartz wrote:

> "Mike Meyer" <mwm at mired.org> wrote in message
> news:86ll0vs1sw.fsf at bhuda.mired.org...
>
>> What you call "clever marketing" the DOJ calls "monopolistic
>> practices". The courts agreed with the DOJ. Having had several large
>> PC manufacturers refuse to sell me a system without some form of
>> Windows because MS made it impossible for them to compete if they
>> didn't agree to do so, I agree with the courts and the DOJ.
>
>     Go down to your local car dealer and see if you can buy a new car
> without an engine.

That's a false analogy. A better analogy is, "go to your local car dealer
and see if you can buy a new car with the tyres of your choice."

Even non-technical types can choose to run a non-Windows operating system
on an Intel-compatible PC. So why do the tier-one vendors and all laptop
manufacturers make their machines available only with Windows? Or on the
very few occasions they will offer a naked PC, the price is the same as
for PC + Windows.

I'm aware of talk that Dell is selling Linux PCs at Walmart for less than
the same hardware plus Windows. Talk is cheap -- I'm not aware of anyone
who has actually seen these Linux PCs. I'd love to know either way.

(Oh, and since I am in Australia, and we haven't yet been invaded by
Walmart, I can't go and look for myself.)

--
Steven.