Microsoft Hatred FAQ

Peter T. Breuer ptb at oboe.it.uc3m.es
Tue Oct 25 18:06:21 EDT 2005

In comp.os.linux.misc David Schwartz <davids at webmaster.com> wrote:

> "Steven D'Aprano" <steve at REMOVETHIScyber.com.au> wrote in message
> news:pan.2005.10.25.16.12.33.746996 at REMOVETHIScyber.com.au...

>> The first two points are factually wrong, and the third is an opinion
>> based on the concept, as far as I can see, that Microsoft should be
>> allowed to do anything they like, even if those actions harm others.

>     Of course this alleged "harm" is simply a lack of a benefit.

>     Why is Burger King allowed to close at 10PM? That harms me when I'm
> hungry after 10.

They can close when they like because the policy is not discriminatory,
nor is part of an attempt to manage the market. If they were to do
things that harmed the market - such as telling meat suppliers that
supplied them that they couldn't supply anyone else, that would be a
possible candidate for anti-competitive behaviour suits. It would have
to be shown that the arrangement WAS materially anti-competitive,
though, and that's difficult to conceive of because MacDonalds does
not constitute a major portion of the market demand for corned beef,
so they don't have the leverage.

Peter