/usr/bin/env python, force a version

Laszlo Zsolt Nagy gandalf at designaproduct.biz
Thu Oct 6 08:53:56 EDT 2005

Roel Schroeven wrote:

>Laszlo Zsolt Nagy wrote:
>

>>manatlan at gmail.com wrote:
>>

>>>I've got a trouble, and i think that anybody there can help me
>>>
>>>I've got a python script which i distribute in somes packages for *nix.
>>>This script is full of python and need python 2.4 ! And i'd like to
>>>display a message when the user doesn't have a python2.4 version.

>>'2.4.1 (#65, Mar 30 2005, 09:13:57) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)]'
>>

>Yes, but the problem is also that Debian (not only Sid, but also stable
>and testing) has python 2.4 but it is not the default, i.e.
>/usr/bin/python is a symlink to /usr/bin/python2.3 even if
>/usr/bin/python2.4 is available to.

Hmm.

Idea one:

Create a list of possible locations. First of all, use your PATH, and
then add common locations:

['/bin','/usr/bin','/opt/bin','/usr/local/bin']  # etc.

Then use a list of the possible executable names:

['python','python2.3','python2.4'] # etc

Finally using these combinations, execute each executeable with

python -V

and examine its output. This may work, but I'm affraid there is no
general solution.
The system administrator can install different python versions to
virtually any location.
But I don't think you should be affraid of that. If a system admin
installs different
versions into strange locations, then he will take the responsibility to
fix python programs
that need a specific version. But in most cases, looking for a python
executable
on your PATH should be enough; and it is the most I would expect from an
application. :-)

Last idea:

    - create a configuration file that resides beside your Python program
    - take the path to the good executeable there
    - if the program was started with the wrong version, but you have
the path to the good one (from the config file), then re-execute
    - otherwise print an error message telling the required version AND
how the user can set it up in the config file

Third idea (for Windows only): read available versions from the
registry. ;-)

Best,

  Les