Windows vs Linux [was: p2exe using wine/cxoffice]

Sybren Stuvel sybrenUSE at YOURthirdtower.com.imagination
Wed Oct 26 08:58:23 EDT 2005

Tim Golden enlightened us with:
> But as far as I can tell from my experience and from the docs -- and
> I'm not near a Linux box at the mo -- having used ctrl-r to recall
> line x in the history, you can't just down-arrow to recall x+1, x+2
> etc.  Or can you?

With bash as well as the Python interactive shell:

    - ^R followed by a partial string to search
    - Hit ^R again to get the previous match, repeat as required
    - Hit ^A/^E to move the cursor to the beginning/end of the line,
      stopping the "search mode". This allows you to use arrow up/down
      from that point in the readline history.

Sybren
                                             Frank Zappa