Microsoft Hatred FAQ

John Bokma john at castleamber.com
Mon Oct 17 17:46:32 EDT 2005

Roedy Green <my_email_is_posted_on_my_website at munged.invalid> wrote:

> On 16 Oct 2005 00:47:09 GMT, John Bokma <john at castleamber.com> wrote
> or quoted :
>
>>Ok, let me spell it out for you: If all your applications are web based,
>>and the OS shouldn't matter, why do Linux distributions matter?
>
> The point is you make your choice based on quality of the OS and
> distribution, not whether it can run a given piece of software.

But some clients will work better with web based software, or make the
users believe so. If this idea was correct, why aren't all browsers equal
in usage and performance? Instead of quality, people seem to pick a browser
based on zealotism, look and feel, how well it can be extended, or if a
major player is behind it.

> Web apps, Java and other multiplatform tools force OSes to compete on
> quality, not on proprietary lockin.

Nah, they compete on gadgets, and the ignorance of the majority of users.

--
John                   Small Perl scripts: http://johnbokma.com/perl/
               Perl programmer available:     http://castleamber.com/