UI toolkits for Python

Mark Roseman mark at markroseman.com
Tue Oct 18 12:34:12 EDT 2005

Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> wrote:
> aleaxit at yahoo.com (Alex Martelli) writes:
> > Maybe that's the key difference between the mindset of a
> > mathematician and that of an engineer -- I consider reaching over
> > 95% of visitors to be _quite good indeed_,
>> What surprises me is that marketing types will accept turning away -
> what's the current internet user base? 200 million? - 10 million
> potential customers without a complaint. Or maybe they just don't get
> told that that's what's going on.

Obviously we all agree the effort to support both is significant.  The
question is not so much "do we turn away 5%" as "do we use the effort we
do have to provide a better experience for the 95%, or to provide a
slightly worse experience for the 95%, and an ok experience for the 5%".

If you're a business, the question then becomes, does the incrementally
better experience produce a higher conversion rate (i.e. more sales), in
which case it may well be a better investment to focus there and ignore
the 5%.  It's but one perspective, but depending on your goals, can be a
reasonable choice to make.

Mark