Upgrading 2.4.1 to 2.4.2

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Tue Oct 25 06:13:24 EDT 2005

>> Hi, I'm new to python and just upgraded python on my system from 2.3 to 2.4.
>> My platform is Linux-2.6.9-1.667smp-i686-with-redhat-3-Heidelberg.
>>
>> Is there any way to inherit (share?) all extensions and additional modules
>> the my 2.3 have? (of course, beside re-installing everything)
>
> binary extensions should, in general, be recompiled for each new X.Y release,
> so it's usually best to reinstall them.

just noted that your subject doesn't match the rest of your message; if you're doing
a minor upgrade (X.Y.Z), it should be safe to install the new version over the old one,
and all existing extensions should continue to work.

(I say "should", but 2.4 => 2.4.1 did break a lot of things for me; 2.3 => 2.4 was a
much cleaner upgrade.  most of the 2.4.1 issues are fixed in 2.4.2, so it was probably
just a temporary glitch)

</F>