Read/Write from/to a process

jas codecraig at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 08:22:20 EDT 2005

So it seems there is no good way to handle "interactive" processes on
windows using python.  By interactive I mean processes/commands that
require user interaction, such as telnet or del (to delete a file or
directory sometimes you need to confirm with a yes or no), date, etc.

os.system gives the exact behavior, but you can't redirec the output.
pexpect isn't supported on windows.  Even with subprocess you can't
handle all/most cases..since you have to do things like look for he
prompt.

I modified the original suggestion so it would update the prompt, in
case the user did a "cd.." ..which works fine now.  However, if a user
tries to do, "del tmp123" ...windows prompts for a "are you sure you
want to delete... Y/N?" ...so the code hangs.

I can't believe no one else has done this yet..or if they have, it
hasn't been widely discussed.

Any other suggestions?