crosswords helper program

Lasse Vågsæther Karlsen lasse at vkarlsen.no
Wed Oct 12 05:40:54 EDT 2005

gg wrote:
> I plan to write a program in Python in order to help me doing
> crosswords, I was wondering if such a program already existed.
>
> Basically it will get the number of letters of the word (5, 10, 12...)
> then the letters known (B in second letter, E in 5th letter...) and then
> search in a dictionary the words matching this criteria
>
> Regards
>
> Gerard

Pretty straightforward with a regular expression:

import re
words = ["BULLETIN", "BALLPARK", "BUSINESS"]
r = re.compile("^BU..N..S$", re.IGNORECASE)
for word in words:
     if r.match(word):
         print word

You would probably want to allow the user to input both some basic
format for your program and convert it to a regular expression as well
as input a full pattern, because then the user can have words that have
a U or a E in the second letter, simply because he doesn't know which
one is right yet.

--
Lasse Vågsæther Karlsen
http://usinglvkblog.blogspot.com/