[Info] PEP 308 accepted - new conditional expressions

Dave Hansen iddw at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 13 17:02:19 EDT 2005

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 21:49:15 +0200, Piet van Oostrum <piet at cs.uu.nl>
wrote:

>>DH> So lose the "if."
>
>>DH>    R = C then A else B
>
>>DH> I don't think python uses the question mark for anything.  Throw that
>>DH> in, if it makes parsing easier:
>
>>DH>    R = C ? then A else B
>
>We have already had this discussion several times. I don't think it is
>going to add anything new to it. Besides after the BDFL has decided it is
>useless.

Oh, agreed, most assuredly (except that "we" didn't include "me," not
that that would have made any difference, but I missed most of the
discussion).  I was merely responding to your assertion that using "if
C then A else B" could cause parsing problems.

I'm not convinced python even needs a ternary operator.  I just wish
the syntax chosen by the BDFL made more sense.  Even if I don't use
it, I'll likely have to read it...

Regards,

                               -=Dave
--