more than 100 capturing groups in a regex

Tue Oct 25 08:06:58 EDT 2005

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 03:55:17 -0700, Joerg Schuster wrote:

> No limitation at all would be best. If a limitation is necessary, then
> the more capturing groups, the better. At the time being, I would be
> really happy about having the possibility to use 10000 capturing
> groups.

Do you really think that the regular expression needed to do that would be
maintainable?

I'm also curious, what sort of usage case would need ten thousand
capturing groups? I'd love to see the performance, especially if all ten
thousand of them do backtracking.

--
Steven.