os.path.expanduser('~/foo') and MSWindows "My Documents"

Tony Nelson *firstname*nlsnews at georgea*lastname*.com
Thu Nov 17 22:56:32 EST 2005

On *nix, ~/foo refers to a file in a user's home directory.  On
MSWindows, users normally look at "My Documents" in their home
directory.  ISTM that a file that my program would put in ~/. on Linux
should be put in "~/My Documents/" (modulo os.path.normpath()) on
MSWindows, where a user would expect it.  How do you guys cope with this
issue?