web interface

Jorge Godoy godoy at ieee.org
Mon Nov 7 06:12:43 EST 2005

"Ajar" <ajartaknev at gmail.com> writes:

> I have a stand alone application which does some scientific
> computations. I want to provide a web interface for this app. The app
> is computationally intensive and may take long time for running. Can
> someone suggest me a starting point for me? (like pointers to the
> issues involved in this, or even better any of the existing tools for
> doing this...)

For the long running task you might get some idea from cvsmonitor (Perl
code).  It has a long running task that is updating some repositories and
giving feedback from time to time to the user.

One thing is: detach all what is possible from user interface and give
feedback from time to time to avoid browser timeout and the user thinking the
app hanged.

Be seeing you,
--
Jorge Godoy      <godoy at ieee.org>