General question about Python design goals

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sun Nov 27 22:20:18 EST 2005

Christoph Zwerschke wrote:
> But it just led me to the general question: Which significance actually
> have design features such as orthogonality for Python?

Probably very little.  Python has not so much been designed as evolved.
  Plus it's a fairly mature language (over 14 years old), and I think in
such a case that elements of design tend to be obscured by the many
changes layered on top.  (For example, I hardly recognize the C++ that I
learned in the language that struggles on today.)

While the goal of orthogonality may factor into some people's reasons
for implementing certain changes, it's not (apparently) a primary
motivation for many of the ones doing work on the Python core.  If more
people with such motivations had been working on the core, it's likely
Python would have more of these sorts of "gaps" filled in.

(The corollary, of course, is that there would be other gaps, and they
would be more practical ones, so other people would probably be
suggesting things like "wouldn't it be good if Python had a Unicode type
instead of all these little-used functions that make the language nice
and orthogonal but aren't really necessary". ;-) )

-Peter