How to write an API for a Python application?

Eric Brunel eric_brunel at despammed.com
Thu Nov 17 03:03:49 EST 2005

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 15:43:33 -0500, Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> wrote:

> "Eric Brunel" <eric_brunel at despammed.com> writes:
>> On 16 Nov 2005 06:18:05 -0800, Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk> wrote:
>>> One technology that I used many years ago with Python, and which should
>>> still do the job is CORBA - at that time ILU, but I suppose the various
>>> other ORBs should also be as capable; certainly, ILU permitted
>>> callbacks from the server into the client. These days, you might want
>>> to look at omniORB, Fnorb and ORBit.
>> I never saw any way to create callbacks from server to client with CORBA. How would you describe such a callback in the IDL file?
>
> It's OO, not functional. You pass an object to the server, and the
> server invokes methods on that object. In the IDL, you use the
> interface name as a type. I.e.:
>
>   interface Window {
>   }
>  and in another interface:
>   WindowList	FindWindows(in Window name) ;

This is slowly drifting OT, but aren't the interfaces in the IDL implemented on the server, and not on the client? So passing an "interface instance" to a method will just make the server call itself, won't it? Or you have to turn your client into a server, which makes things a lot more complicated.

> And, FWIW, Fnorb hasn't been maintained for a while. It requires
> patching to run on recent versions of Python.

Back on-topic: it seems to run fine with Python 2.1. I don't know about later versions.
--
python -c "print ''.join([chr(154 - ord(c)) for c in 'U(17zX(%,5.zmz5(17;8(%,5.Z65\'*9--56l7+-'])"