defining the behavior of zip(it, it) (WAS: Converting a flat list...)

Antoon Pardon apardon at forel.vub.ac.be
Wed Nov 23 03:56:19 EST 2005

Op 2005-11-23, Fredrik Lundh schreef <fredrik at pythonware.com>:
> rurpy at yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> led to more serious flaws like the missing if-then-else expression,
>> something I use in virtually every piece of code I write, and which
>> increases readability.
>
> you obviously need to learn more Python idioms.   Python works better
> if you use it to write Python code; not when you mechanically translate
> stuff written in other languages to Python.

What does this mean?

It could mean that python works better with those concepts that are
already implemented in python. That seems obvious, but isn't
an argument for or against implementing a particular language
feature.

It could also mean that some language feature will never work well
in python even when implemented. Are you arguing that a conditional
expression is such a feature?

>> (Well, ok that is not the end of the world either but it's lack is irritating
>> as hell, and yes, I know that it is now back in favor.)
>
> the thing that's in favour is "then-if-else", not "if-then-else".

Well I don't know about the previous poster, but I'm mostly interesseted
in a conditional expression. Whether it is "then-if-else" or "if-then-else"
seems less important to me.

--
Antoon Pardon