how to call basic browser functions?

BLElliott belliott4488 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 4 21:28:16 EST 2005

I think this is a very basic question, so feel free to direct me to a
FAQ or other resource to go and get myself educated, if that's the best
answer.

Can I perform web browser functions from a script, for example, doing
file downloads, if I can construct the file URL within my script?  As an
example, suppose there's a file I download periodically, but its URL
changes with the current date.  If I can write a script that will
automatically generate the URL, can it then go and fetch the file for me?

thanks in advance,
Bruce