Class Variable Access and Assignment

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Nov 4 12:18:21 EST 2005

Antoon Pardon wrote:
> Op 2005-11-04, Steve Holden schreef <steve at holdenweb.com>:
>
>>Antoon Pardon wrote:
>>
>>>Op 2005-11-04, Steve Holden schreef <steve at holdenweb.com>:
>>
>>[...]
>>>

>>>It has nothing to do with being more pragmatic. Being pragmatic
>>>is about how you handle things with real life projects. It has
>>>little to do with the degree in which you agree with the design
>>>of the tool you have to work with. I would say I am more pragmatic
>>>than most defenders of python, because when it comes done to
>>>do my work, I just use python as best as I can, while a lot
>>>of people here seem to think that every little criticism I have
>>>is enough to go and look for a different language.
>>>

>>No, being pragmatic is to do with accepting what is rather than wasting
>>time wishing it were otherwise,
>

> Just accepting what is, is not pragmatic. Not much progress would have
> been made if we just accepted what is.

Pragmatically, I accept that whatever I say you are likely to respond
with a nit-picking argument. Pragmatically I accept this situation for
what it is. This does not stop me imagining a world where our dialogues
are about meaningful issues rather than whether a particular facet of
Python's design is "unsane". Pragmatically I accept that such a world is
likely to exist only in my imagination.

>>particularly when the "insane" behavior
>>was actually a deliberate design choice. Which is why it doesn't work
>>the same as non-local references in nested scopes.
>

> That b.a = b.a + 2
>
> works as a result of a design choice, that I can accept.
>
> But IMO b.a += 2, working as it does, is more the result of
> earlier design and implementation decisions than it was
> a deliberate design decision.

You are wrong.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119