How to get started in GUI Programming?

Thomas Guettler niemand.leermann at thomas-guettler.de
Fri Nov 25 09:35:59 EST 2005

Am Fri, 25 Nov 2005 06:02:40 -0800 schrieb peter.mosley:

> I am trying to learn GUI programming in Python, but have to confess I
> am finding it difficult.

Yes, if you come from Visual Basic you might be missing something.
I developed with Visual Basic some time ago and like some parts of it.

> I've found the tutorial and reference manual on the PyGtk web site,
> but although I've made some progress, I keep reaching points where I
> have insufficient background to understand them. Currently I'm stuck
> on dialog boxes (the code seems immensely complex for the equivalent of
>   MsgBox("Do you really want to do this ",vbYesNo)

search for yesNoDialog here:
http://guettli.sourceforge.net/gthumpy/src/editMetadata.py

> and I haven't
> got it to work properly yet) and loading graphical images in anything
> other than their original size, but every new step brings another
> struggle

search for scale2pixbuf in the link.

> Can anyone offer any suggestions as to the least painful way forwards?

Only the beginning is painful. After some time you don't miss anything
from Visual Basic anymore.

 Happy Learning,
  Thomas

--