shared library search path

Stefan Arentz stefan.arentz at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 06:31:31 EST 2005

Hi. I've wrapped a C++ class with Boost.Python and that works great. But, I
am now packaging my application so that it can be distributed. The structure
is basically this:

 .../bin/foo.py
 .../lib/foo.so
 .../lib/bar.py

In foo.py I do the following:

 sys.path.append(os.path.dirname(sys.path[0]) + '/lib')

and this allows foo.py to import bar. Great.

But, the foo.so cannot be imported. The import only succeeds if I place
foo.so next to foo.py in the bin directory.

I searched through the 2.4.2 documentation on python.org but I can't find
a proper explanation on how the shared library loader works.

Does anyone understand what it going on here?

 S.