[OT] Gmane/Tunderbird users: is g.c.p.general too big?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Nov 3 07:13:34 EST 2005

Robert Kern wrote:
> Steve Holden wrote:
>
>>Sorry about this almost off-topic post, but I am guessing there must be
>>other readers of this group who use Thunderbird (in my case 1.0.2) to
>>access it as gmane.comp.general.python.
>>
>>I'm currently showing 344,548 articles in the group due to the gmane
>>policy of permanent retention, and lately it seems to have started
>>taking forever to switch from mailboxes to the newsgroup. Furthermore,
>>the Thunderbird process's memory usage climbs from ~30MB reading mail to
>>over 200MB reading the newsgroup.
>>
>>Has anyone else noticed this, or is it specific to my setup? Does anyone
>>have a solution?
>

> You can specify a policy for keeping old messages for each server
> account. Go to your "Account Settings" for GMane and look in "Offline &
> Disk Space". You can choose to keep all messages, the newest N messages,
> or messages from the past N days.

Thanks, that's done it. A few days ago Thunderbird had a giddy fit and
suddenly decided that every article on the server was unread. I don't
know what happened, but after resetting the Thunderbird policy for the
group (and waiting three minutes for it to comb through everything) all
is well again.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119