Understanding Python Documentation

Josh Cronemeyer joshuacronemeyer at sunflower.com
Thu Nov 24 10:46:00 EST 2005

On Thursday 24 November 2005 09:27 am, Simon Brunning wrote:
> On 24/11/05, Josh Cronemeyer <joshuacronemeyer at sunflower.com> wrote:
> > I have very little experience programming in python but considerable
> > experience with java.  One thing that is frustrating me is the
> > differences in the documentation style.  Javadocs, at the top level are
> > just a list of packages.  Drilling down on a package reveals a list of
> > classes in that package, and drilling down on a class reveals a list of
> > methods for that class.  Is there something similar for python?
> >
> > The closest thing I have found to this for python is
> > http://www.python.org/doc/2.4.2/modindex.html  which really isn't the
> > same thing at all.
>
> I think it is, really. Thing is, Python's standard library is broader
> and less nested in structure than Java's, so it stands to reason that
> its documetation will be broader and less nested in structure too.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Simon B,
> simon at brunningonline.net,
> http://www.brunningonline.net/simon/blog/

It is true about the nature of Python's standard library.  But when dealing
with a large set of methods, for example, the OS module, it is nice to have
the javadoc API style documentation.  You can see a quick summary of what is
available, then if you want more detail you drill down on that particular
method.  Oh well.  I'll get used to it :)

Thanks!
Josh