2.4.2 on AIX 4.3 make fails on threading

Paul Watson pwatson at redlinepy.com
Wed Nov 23 13:04:28 EST 2005

Neal Norwitz wrote:
> Paul Watson wrote:
>
>>When I try to build 2.4.2 on AIX 4.3, it fails on missing thread
>>objects.  I ran ./configure --without-threads --without-gcc.
>>
>>Before using --without-threads I had several .pthread* symbols missing.
>

> Perhaps you need to add -lpthread to the link line.  This should be
> able to work.  What is the link line output from make?
>

>>Can anyone
>>suggest a configuration or some change that I can make to cause this to
>>build correctly?  Thanks.
>>
>>ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: ._PyGILState_NoteThreadState
>

> I think that problem has been fixed.  Try downloading this file and
> replace the one in your build directory:
>

> http://svn.python.org/projects/python/branches/release24-maint/Python/pystate.c

Thanks for your help.  I think it worked better after I read the
Misc/AIX-NOTES document.  Apparently one -must- use --with-threads.

I grabbed a bzlib.h from the net and created ./Modules/bzlib.h since I
do not have root access.  I had to change bz2module.c #include to use
quotes rather than <> symbols so that it would find the header file.

Another problem with building _codecs_cn.c I will put in another
subject.  Thanks.