strange behaviour when writing a large amount of data on stdout

Manlio Perillo NOmanlio_perilloSPAM at libero.it
Wed Nov 23 13:28:26 EST 2005

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 18:21:45 +0100, "Fredrik Lundh"
<fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote:

>Manlio Perillo wrote:
>
>> So, it's seem to be a specific problem of Windows XP(?).
>>
>> Nobody can test it on a Windows 98/2000 machine?
>
>works fine on assorted XP and 2000 boxes for me.

That's very strange.

>is the "n = 61409 + 1" stuff necessary, or do you get the same
>problem for all outputs over a given size ?  even if you just do,
>say,
>
>    print '*'*61410
>
>?  does print '*'*61409 work?

It works for n < 61410, fails for n >= 61410

>is it always the same number, or
>does it vary depending on, say, what other programs you're using,
>how much you've already printed to the console, etc.

Well, if I try with n = 61409 (that works), then it works even with n
>= 61410.
But, as an example, with n = 614100, it fails again...

> are you
>using a standard cmd.exe in a standard console?  no cygwin or
>other oddities?

No.
Only cmd.exe, started with /k "chcp.com 1252"
(but is is the same without it).

What a mess!

P.S.
Do you have installed SP1 or SP2 on Windows XP?

Regards  Manlio Perillo