Class Variable Access and Assignment

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Nov 4 06:49:43 EST 2005

Antoon Pardon wrote:
> Op 2005-11-04, Steve Holden schreef <steve at holdenweb.com>:
[...]
>>I suppose ultimately I'm just more pragmatic than you.
>

> It has nothing to do with being more pragmatic. Being pragmatic
> is about how you handle things with real life projects. It has
> little to do with the degree in which you agree with the design
> of the tool you have to work with. I would say I am more pragmatic
> than most defenders of python, because when it comes done to
> do my work, I just use python as best as I can, while a lot
> of people here seem to think that every little criticism I have
> is enough to go and look for a different language.

No, being pragmatic is to do with accepting what is rather than wasting
time wishing it were otherwise, particularly when the "insane" behavior
was actually a deliberate design choice. Which is why it doesn't work
the same as non-local references in nested scopes.

>>Plus I started
>>using Icon, whose assignment semantics are very similar, back in the
>>1970's, so Python's way of doing things fits my brain quite nicely,
>>thank you.
>

> So, people can probably say that about any language they started with.
> That a language suits a certain persons brain, may say more about
> the person than about the language.

I wasn't trying to make a point about the language. I was merely (and I
thought charitably) trying to explain why I appear to be blind to the
"insanity" you see all around you.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119