Pythonising the vim (e.g. syntax popups)

Christoph Haas email at christoph-haas.de
Wed Nov 9 10:09:09 EST 2005

Evening,

I'm an addicted vim user and don't really use the IDLE for anything more
than calculations where I'm too lazy to start KCalc. But one feature is
very pretty: the built-in help for function calls while you type. Like you
enter...

var1,var2=mystring.split(
...and the IDLE shows me a popup saying...
"S.split([sep [,maxsplit]]) -> list of strings

Is there a decent way to get that help into vim? Or like showing docstrings
or help that I get through pydoc on request? I've been working myself
through a pile of vim macros/plugins but couldn't find even one which
simplifies programming in Python. Further issues would be handling the
indentation - maybe a plugin which syntax colors different levels of
indentation so I don't have to use my plastic ruler on the screen. ;)
Perhaps some more experienced Python/Vim users have a tip which macro sets
help most here.

Thanks,
 Christoph
--